Sunday 1 March 2015

To keep, or not to keep?

My last few posts have been about making things.
This is about throwing things away.

When my brother came to fit my new cooker he commented that I need to get rid of stuff, looking at this



This was my Nan's rocking chair, and I won't be parting with it. Why not? Because it's used, most days, is a lovely chair, just for sitting and thinking. 

I've got a bit of a problem with de cluttering- I like clutter, and admit to being a hoarder. But recently, someone put it into perspective for me "would you take it with you if you moved house / would your relatives just chuck it when you die?"
So I've been trying to get rid of things, I've boxed up books and CDs, but going through old photos is difficult. I have all my Dads old photos, and have decided that if they're from before he met Mum, and I don't know anyone else in the photo, they can go.
And you come across some gems


Mum and Dad, probably on holiday. I can vaguely remember that car too!
There are lots of holiday snaps, I'll keep a few, for the memories, and maybe scan some others and save them 'just in case'

And of course, therein lies the dilemma, I am my fathers daughter, and keep things 'just in case'; in case what?
Why do I have over 30 mugs? 3 different cafetieres are different sizes, so I may keep those, but why do I have 6 carving knives and 3 sets of cutlery. Only 2 people live in this house.
So when I'm decluttering I get disheartened, and move from room to room just picking up random things, and then not throwing them away after all.

But then I come across something that's been kept for a reason - my trusty tin opener


I bought this in 1985 when I moved into my first flat, and realised I didn't have one. I've had a couple of posh ones, even an electric one once, but they haven't lasted. These days, lots of tins have a ring pull, and I don't use much tinned stuff, but there are some essentials like tinned tomatoes, that tend not to have a posh pull. But my trusty tin opener is starting to fail me, I've tried adjusting it, but it doesn't cut the tins evenly any more, and I've the cuts on my hands to show for it!

So yesterday, I went to the chandlers and for the grand sum of £1.49 I replaced it



Sorry to see it go, but after 30 years, I think it's time to change.

Who knows? Maybe I'll throw something else away!





No comments:

Post a Comment