Friday 8 January 2021

Not doing a 'frugal' thing, there's so much food in the freezer

Before Christmas I tried to run the freezer down, and managed reasonable successfully.  But then the rules changed and food that was meant to be enough for 4 people for Christmas Day, and 2 people for 5 days ended up as a small part of Christmas Day and just for me.

I last had a supermarket delivery on 16th December, and had fresh veg delivered on 22nd.

I sent my son home to Stoke with enough food to feed a small army, but still there was more than enough to keep me going for a while. So lots of it got frozen. In the case of veg, it mainly got frozen as soup.

And I also forgot to cancel my Musclefood order so had 5kg of chicken breasts delivered just before Christmas.  Half of that went with my son, but that still left a fair amount of chicken.

Then I got mixed up last week.  I took some chicken out of the freezer ( I freeze it in packs of 2) and also some salmon; thinking 'it's Friday, I'll have fish'. And then remembered that there was football on the telly, and that isn't a 'watching football' sort of meal. So I went to the chippy!

Aside from that chippy trip, I've been to the supermarket twice since Christmas. Once to Aldi, for some basics (spend £7.59) and once to the Little Asda at the bottom of the road (spend £9.09)

I made curry in the slow cooker, had one portion for my tea, and the rest has gone back into the freezer (4 portions) - I know there's a mixed view about this, but I'm not dead yet and I've been doing it for years. The salmon ended up in pasta, as I couldn't think what else to do with it!

This week I've got a veg box delivery, and I had a cheese delivery on Friday.

I really ought to meal plan, but whenever I do that, something happens to scupper my plans. And there's only me. So although conventional wisdom says to plan, I'll stick with 'open the fridge and see what needs using first'

No comments:

Post a Comment