Tuesday 17 November 2020

I miss the gym

 Those are words I never thought I'd say.

I generally found going to the gym boring. But I needed to do something.

So round about September last year, roughly when I decided to take retirement, I started going to the gym more often.  I couldn't go on a regular basis due to work commitments, so found it difficult to get into a routine.

I paid for PT sessions, and was making good progress, but, again, due to work, I really wasn't doing the extra work. Having a PT meant that the sessions were mixed up, but I still progressed, without it getting boring. I went from just about being able to pick up a 5kg dumbell to doing 'proper' weights.

But my cardio was still rubbish, I got breathless really easily.

Then lockdown happened.  My PT sent some plans, and I tried to stick to them, honest I did.  But it was summer, and I walked miles. I even got my bike out, but didn't have the confidence on the roads.  

I tried C25K again, but again, got so breathless that even Jeffing it was difficult.

Then, hallelujah, the gyms re-opened.  This time, I wasn't travelling all over the country so I got into a 'proper' routine.  PT session on a Wednesday,  Zumba on Friday, , Aqua Sunday, Gym on Monday (or random other days).

I definitely started to feel fitter, although wasn't losing any weight. Really bizarre. 

Then we went into Tier3 and I was so angry. It felt like the only thing that got me out of the house was gone.  Fortunately it only lasted 10 days, but here we go again!

I've tried online classes, but they don't work for me. I'm not accountable.  I can skip bits if it gets hard.

So it's back to walking again. And doing an online strength session with a PT.

I've set myself some challenges, using the kit I've got at home






(and no, I don't normally work out in flip flops!)


No comments:

Post a Comment